Want to know how to update/upgrade DaVinci Resolve quickly?
You have come to the right place.
Today we’ll see how to update DaVinci Resolve – be it within the same version like 17 to 17.1, or upgrading to a new version, say, from 16 to 17.
There are few important things you should know apart from updating Resolve.
Without wasting time, let’s dive right in.
- Things to Consider Before Updating DaVinci Resolve
- Where to Find Latest Updates for DaVinci Resolve?
- How to Update DaVinci Resolve within the Application?
- How to Install the DaVinci Resolve Update?
- How to Check For DaVinci Resolve Updates From the Blackmagic Support Website?
- How to take Database Backup Before Updating Resolve?
- How to Upgrade Database in DaVinci Resolve?
- Does DaVinci Resolve Have Auto Update?
- Are DaVinci Resolve Updates Free?
- DaVinci Resolve Update / Version History
Things to Consider Before Updating DaVinci Resolve
If you’re already working on a project in an earlier version of DaVinci Resolve, it is better to complete it before updating Resolve.
Always backup your database (it is a quick and easy process which we will cover later) before updating DaVinci Resolve so that you can always get back to your earlier version in case something goes wrong.
It is especially useful, when you are upgrading from one version to another, say from version 16 to 17. In this case, Resolve will ask you to upgrade your database.
You WILL have to upgrade your database (read on to know more).
Once you upgrade your database, the old database becomes incompatible with the newer version of the Resolve.
But you always need a backup of your database if you ever want to downgrade Resolve.
Where to Find Latest Updates for DaVinci Resolve?
- Within the application from the menu “DaVinci Resolve” -> “Check for Updates”.
- From the Blackmagic Design Support Center.
The updates are available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
How to Update DaVinci Resolve within the Application?
- Launch DaVinci Resolve and open any project.
- Go to the menu “DaVinci Resolve” -> “Check for Updates…”.
- Click on the “Download” button if there are any updates.
- The download should start automatically and will be downloaded in your downloads folder as a “.zip” file.
- Extract it and double click on the “.exe” file to install the Resolve update!
DaVinci Resolve Check for Updates
The “Check for Updates” option from the menu “DaVinci Resolve” will check for any latest software update available for DaVinci Resolve.
If there are any new updates, it will ask you to download. If no new updates, then it will say that your software is up to date.
When you launch Resolve, it automatically throws a pop up window to let you know that there is a new update.
If it doesn’t then you can always click on “Check for Updates” to update to the latest version.
How to Install the DaVinci Resolve Update?
Installing the DaVinci Resolve update is simple. Extract the downloaded zip file. Then double click on the “.exe” file and follow the onscreen instructions.
The installation should be straight-forward. If you need help, then refer the below article:
How to Check For DaVinci Resolve Updates From the Blackmagic Support Website?
- Navigate to Blackmagic Design Support Center.
- Scroll down to “Latest downloads“.
- Choose your required latest update.
- Click on your OS (Windows / Mac OS / Linux) button for the download.
- On the next screen, you will be asked to register (even if you have already registered).
- The file will be downloaded as a zip file. Extract it and install the “.exe” file.
How to take Database Backup Before Updating Resolve?
- Go to the “Project Manager” by clicking on the house icon from the bottom right corner or from “File” -> “Project Manager”.
- Click on the “Show/Hide Databases” icon to reveal your databases.
- Select your database and click on the “Backup” icon from the top.
- Choose a folder to save your database backup, then click on “Save”.
- Do this for all the databases.
For more details, please click on the below link and scroll to the section “How to BackUp Database in DaVinci Resolve?”
How to Upgrade Database in DaVinci Resolve?
- After you upgrade from an earlier version to the new version (say, from version 16 to 17), Resolve will ask you to upgrade your databases – local database and other databases that you might have.
- Before upgrading make sure you backup your databases.
- Click on “Upgrade“.
- Resolve will upgrade the database so that it is compatible with the newer version.
If you want to learn more about moving your databases and projects between computers, read the below:
Does DaVinci Resolve Have Auto Update?
DaVinci Resolve doesn’t have auto update feature. You will have to download the update manually and then install it.
Are DaVinci Resolve Updates Free?
All the updates for the DaVinci Resolve free version and paid version (Studio) are free.
In fact, if you buy DaVinci Resolve Studio for a one time payment of $299, the updates and upgrades are free for lifetime!
DaVinci Resolve Update / Version History
The current and previous updates for Resolve are maintained in the Blackmagic Design Support Center.
You can scroll down to the “Latest Downloads” section and scroll further down to access older versions of DaVinci Resolve.
Under “Latest Support Notes” section, you’ll see a log of instruction manuals, new features introduced in various versions over the years, etc.
You may be also interested in the below posts:
- 6 Ways to Fix DaVinci Resolve Media Offline Issue [NEW]
- (How to Troubleshoot): DaVinci Resolve Keeps Crashing!
- 14 Ways to Fix DaVinci Resolve Not Opening Issue
- Essential DaVinci Resolve Project Settings (For Beginners!)
- Most Common DaVinci Resolve GPU Issues (& How to Fix Them)
- How to Make DaVinci Resolve Use GPU (Helpful Tips!)
- How To Recover DaVinci Resolve Lost Projects (Crash Recovery!)